After 730 days...

It’s been a while. Time runs so fast and I almost forgotten that today, is my second year anniversary of working in the land of multiple races and one of the most costly cities in the world to stay in.

I’m an Ondoy sufferer.

It was 25th of September 2009 when I, my best friend Beverly, and her friend Ella decided to have a dinner somewhere in Makati after work. Luckily it was my last day in the company which I’d love for almost two years. We have not seen each other for a long time, because of time differences and activity conflicts. I’m killing my time at daytime while she’s making calls when the world is sleeping. We don’t have regular time to chat ever since professional life has started. I can count with my hand on how many times we had gone out, eat and talk. It’s very different compare to college days which was almost every day we had time to talk, relax, eat together, etc. Anyway, I do understand that it’s part of growing up and part of decisions made. Back to Ondoy, we headed to Beverly’s pad in Sampaloc after the dinner. We bought enough liquor to end the day and talk about things. It was the only time I told her that I’m leaving by end of the month and much probably will be back after a week or two (which is not true, it’s just a good way of saying goodbye of a lonely heart, I think). My time was getting short for my things were not yet ready, my mind as well. The next day, after breakfast, I and her friend Ella headed back home. By that time, Ondoy started to show how powerful he was. Moderate wind but heavy rain was started when we travelled from Sampaloc to Taft Avenue to get the bus going to Laguna for me, and LRT plus MRT way for Ella. Unfortunately, the knee-level flood drastically evolved the heavy traffic and we were trapped at Padre Faura. We keep on waiting and transferring to a jeepney which we thought that can go further. We even tried to hitch into a pedicab because most of the roads were blocked by traffic and only pedicab can go. After almost 3 hours of travelling, we hit the Quezon Boulevard; it’s just the parallel road of Taft Avenue and going to Laguna.

Photo from Google

We thought that the dilemma was over but it would have just started. The traffic was not moving and the knee-level flood started to rise up. Drivers started to abandon their automobiles and commuters started to walk and sue the rain. I have no choice and Ella as well but to sue the heavy rain and flood. I need to go home and fix my stuff for my upcoming travel. We walked in the flooded road of San Andres up to Buendia St. to Skyway entry in Mantrade. The flood was as high as my upper tummy. Everywhere you can see people suing the rain and flooded area. It was my first experience of tragic disaster around the City. It was very depressing. Of course after we reached the Skyway, no more flood but the rain was keep on pouring the country. As per datum, it was one of the highest amounts of rainfall ever recorded in country’s history. The crisis wasn’t over for the two of us. Upon reaching Magallanes by walking all over the Skyway, heavy traffic and overloaded buses welcomed us. This scenario was not possible for me to go home, that’s why Ella offered me to stay with her at their apartment somewhere in Boni. Of course, it was expected that there will be power cut during the typhoon. The next day, I headed back home with borrowed shirt and shorts from Ella’s brother. On my way home, I saw the destruction left by Ondoy. In our place in San Pedro, Laguna; it was full of mud, tree trunks/logs, and garbage. Our village was still flooded and some areas were not passable by light vehicles. All made by irresponsible persons and power of nature.

Leaving the place…

I reached home with 48 hours left to leave again, but now, few miles away. My things were not yet ready, lack of time to arrange other things and less time for family bonding. Yes, time runs so fast and after 48 hours I might be stepping into one of the cleanest cities in the world.

Flood water was still playing in the floor of our home. We started opening the bottles of alcohol as we always do. Smoke from cigar started to mix into the air. My mind needs to rest in thinking this little puzzle of my life. I have plenty of why, who, how, when, and where. Maybe in time, I think these plenty questions will be answered. I’m not really ready, my things either, but this ticking clock can’t stop and I need to prepare even though I don’t want.

30th of September 2009: It is one of the gloomiest days and somehow the day which brought the much excitement I didn’t expect. Everything was new. It’s like starting from scratch and building new ideas without overlooking the past. It was a new challenge that started two years ago, survival, and a clash between the right and left part of the brain. Lots of things happened, every thing is still fresh, and all little details was saved, new friends, new doings, new place, greater responsibility, new ideas, new sports and past time, new work, new environment, and a better me. It is a continuing life drawn by me with His love.

Again, it’s been a while.

Comments

  1. how will i forget the ondoy experience. everyone who were in manila have their strories to retell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in the Philippines is an advantage since we are familiar with typhoons, earthquakes and all sorts of calamities so that when we go to other countries we easily adjust since we are so used with adversities

    ReplyDelete
  3. These memories and life changing experiences such as Ondoy's wrath help us become better people and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @dong: yes, you're right, stories of fate and survival.

    @betty: yes. Philippines is very vulnerable in these scenarios.

    @joeyboy: check. life changing and rock the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing your story about Ondoy. wow, it's the same moment that you had to get out of the country to live another chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oo guys grabe talaga nung ngyari yan ondoy, marami din nawalan ng mahal sa buhay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thoughts are highly appreciated. Enjoy leaving your footprints :)